Thomas H. Colledge,
Assistant Professor of Engineering Design
The Pennsylvania State University
University Park, PA 16802
About Me —
passion over the past twenty-one years has been to develop and grow a
program at Penn State whereby students might apply their academic training,
in multidisciplinary teams, to solve problems of marginalized communities.
This vision of service learning in engineering took root during my undergraduate
and became a professional goal upon joining the Engineering Design department at Penn
State in 1991. My
efforts have been focused on development of Humanitarian Engineering. Over
these intervening 22 years, this quest has borne fruit through the creation
and implementation of a number of efforts which have helped nurture a
culture of service by engineering students and faculty. These efforts
were broad based and included:
1. Academic Programs: Creation of the Engineering and
Community Engagement Certificate which provides an
academic home for students engaging in Humanitarian Engineering efforts.
2. Design Projects: Engaging hundreds of students in design
projects which addressed the needs of
communities in East Africa, the Caribbean, Central/South America, and areas
within the United
3. Research: Development of research efforts for
undergraduate students which focused on solving problems of
4. Dissemination: Creation of the International
Journal for Service Learning in Engineering: Humanitarian
Engineering and Social Entrepreneurship to permit
dissemination of the scholarly work of students and faculty
from around the world.
5. Student Learning Community: Creation of a
student learning community to facilitate and nurture such efforts
6. Outreach: Engaging middle school students in
engineering design of solutions to problems in their local
culminated in the formal approval by the College of Engineering at Penn
State in 2011 of the Humanitarian Engineering and Social Entrepreneurship (HESE)
- Learning communities and the integration of service-learning projects into undergraduate curriculum and the impact on cognitive skills development and retention
- Management of water, wastewater, housing and energy services for poverty reduction
- Broad areas of interest related to engineering education and developing communities include:
—with an emphasis on the cultural appropriateness of such activities.
- Alternative Energy Technologies
- Water Resources
- Environmental Issues
Colledge, T.H., Cognitive Foundations of
Engineering Design/Build Service Learning Projects. Proceedings
from Engineering Design at Catholic Universities. Spring, 2005
Benjamin J., J. Bussard, J.Dolak, T. Weiser, T. Colledge. A Portable
Sisal Decorticator for Kenyan Farmers, The International Journal for
Service Learning in Engineering. Vol. 1, No. 2, September, 2006.
Colledge, T.H., Development of a Certificate Program in Engineering
Service Learning and Entrepreneurship. NCIIA Annual Proceedings,
Joshua, L. Grafman, T. Colledge, R. Legg. Leveraging Information
Technology, Social Entrepreneurship, and Global Collaboration for Just
Sustainable Development. NCIIA Annual Proceedings, 2008.
T.H., Cognitive Benefits of Engineering Service Learning. NCIIA
Annual Proceedings, 2009.
Lackey, G., Bell, L., Ferdik, C.,
Shreve, M., Mehta, C., Mehta, K., Colledge, T., “Technology,
implementation and economic sustainability model for an affordable biogas
digester: A Case-Study”, Forum TBD
- Mehta, C., Mehta, K.,
Colledge, T., "The E-Spot Model for developing Business Strategies for
Technology-based Ventures in Developing Communities", NCIIA Annual
Conference, Alexandria, March 2011
- Sisal Decortication—University of Nairobi, Kenya
- Wind Powered Energy Production for Rural Communities—University of Nairobi, Kenya
- Oil Pipeline Catastrophe Mitigation—University of Lagos, Nigeria
- Solar Energy Production for Rural Communities—University of Ibadan, Nigeria
- Anaerobic Digestion for Methane Production and Electrical Power Generation—University of Technology, Jamaica
- Mustard Seed Community - University of Technology, Jamaica
- Bridge Design and Construction—Nueva Esperanza, El Salvador
- Housing Retrofitting—Nueva Esperanza, El Salvador
- Surveying for Water Projects and Bridges—Nueva Esperanza, El Salvador
- St. Giles Anglican Primary School—T. A. Marryshow Community College, Grenada
- Alternative HVAC design of computer building—Nueva Esperanza, El Salvador
- Alternative energy system for computer building—Nueva Esperanza, El Salvador
- Portable milk drying apparatus—University of Technology, Jamaica
- Solar energy for households—Food for the Poor—Kingston, Jamaica
- Rain Catchment System - CYEC, Nyeri, Kenya
- Biodiesel System - CYEC, Nyeri, Kenya
- Biodiesel-Powered Steam Engine Generator - CYEC, Nyeri, Kenya
- Alternative Energy System (Bicycle-Powered Generator) - CYEC, Nyeri,
- Anaerobic Digester w/ Methane Production for Cooking Fuel - CYEC, Nyeri,
- High Tunnel w/ Drip Irrigation - CYEC, Nyeri, Kenya
- Field-Level Drip Irrigation System - CYEC, Nyeri, Kenya
- Water Filtration System - CYEC, Nyeri, Kenya
- Anaerobic Digester w/ Methane Production for Cooking Fuel - Tisma,
Courses Teaching or Taught
- ABE 402: Transport Processes for Biological Production
- ASM 221: Agricultural Systems Management
- ASM 428: Electric Power and Instrumentation for Agriculture
- CDEV 470: Comparative Community Development
- EDSGN 100: Engineering Design and Graphics
- EDSGN 497C: Engineering Design in Developing Communities
- ENGR 097: Humanitarian Engineering
- EDSGN 352: Foundations of Community Service Engineering
- EDSGN 452: Projects in Community Service Engineering
Convergence: Philosophies and Pedagogies for
Developing the Next Generation of Humanitarian Engineers and Social
Entrepreneurs. Edited by: Colledge, T.H., IJSLE, 2012
- Computer Aided Design Using Solid Modeling—6th Edition (1999). Schroff Publishing, Inc., Colledge, Thomas, D. Sathianathan, J. Faldowski, S. Ranade, and K. Meyer.
- National Collegiate Innovators and Inventors Alliance (NCIIA)—Service Through Design and Entrepreneurship Certificate Program.
- U.S. Department of Agriculture—Energy
Production and Pollutant Mitigation from Broiler Houses on Poultry Farms in
Pennsylvania and Jamaica.
- PSU Office of Undergraduate Education—Development of a collaborative, web-based design laboratory—incorporating biological and chemical design elements into first year design course.
- Hach, Inc.—Equipment for design
- National Collegiate Inventors and Innovators Alliance (NCIIA) -
Design of Agricultural Utility System for Subsistence Farmers in Kenya.
- Corporate sponsorship of ESW
- Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) P3 Program. Design of a
Biodiesel Powered Steam Engine for Electricity Generation, Kenya.
- Alcoa Nomination—Construction funding
for student-designed solutions and release time for program development.
- Africana Research Center—Collaborative team development for student projects
and research efforts—Jamaica.
- PSU International Programs—Collaborative
team development for student projects—El Salvador and Jamaica.
- Earth & Mineral Sciences Diversity Office, Minority in Engineering Office, Women in Engineering Office, EGEE
Office—Collaborative team development for students in projects—El Salvador.
- Professional Engineer (PE-049560-E): Civil Engineering, Pennsylvania
- Instructional Certificate II: Mathematics Education, Pennsylvania